Spring is here and allergies in the Nashville area are about to skyrocket. Although we can’t do much about the pollen outside….we can take steps to improving the air quality inside our homes. Protecting yourself from household allergens can be a daunting task, but start simple and you might see quick results.
* Use two doormats at every house entry point — one inside and one outside.
* Take off your shoes when you enter the house.
* Vacuum carpets weekly using a vacuum with a small- particle filter.
* Damp-mop floors once a week.
* Wipe down surfaces with a damp cloth once a week.
* Hang machine-washable curtains instead of heavy draperies.
* Encase mattresses, box springs and pillows in dust-proof zippered covers.
* Wash bedding in hot water once a week.
* Repair cracked or broken caulk and tile in the bathroom.
* Always run the bathroom exhaust fan when you take a shower.
* Clean out under the kitchen sink and check for leaks.
Monitor the humidity in the air (ideal is 30 — 50 percent).
* Change air filters once a month.
If you can only make a few changes, start with your bedroom — you spend about one-third of your time sleeping! And, if possible, go to an allergist and find out what you are allergic to. This will help you focus your efforts and make sure you are treating the right problem.